Have you ever looked at the writing on homemade signs and other DIY projects and wondered how they were able to get it so neatly done? Yes, a lot of times artists and crafters use their circuit. However, here is a very simple and easy word drawing technique that I use ALL the time to draw words and lettering how I want.
The simple DIY lettering and drawing transfer technique is one that use often to transfer words and images quickly.
DIY Project Wishlist
One day I would love to try a die-cutting machine to help out with all of my DIY art and craft ideas. For now, my simple pencil technique to get easy do-it-myself lettering will have to cut it.
Why use this drawing technique?
If you want to save time, then this is just a different way to do so. It is kind of like tracing but the opposite because you are pushing the graphite or the chalk onto the surface. By using a printout of the font of your choosing you are able to get a more professional look and easily able to control the spacing. Trust us, when the spacing is messed up, people notice.
Easily Design Your DIY Lettering and Words
Use sharpies, pens, colored pencils, or any material you want to design your lettering. I LOVE these colored pencils! At the time of this post, these pencils were on SALE! I have not seen a price like this for a long time.
What about DIY chalkboard lettering?
Step 1: Rub Chalk On The Back
Instead of using graphite on the back of the text, rub white chalk.
Step 2: Tape To Wall or Board & Trace
Then tape your lettering on the chalkboard wall and still use a pencil to trace the lettering.
Step 3: Carefully Remove The Paper
Remove the lettering printout and retrace the letter with chalk markers or chalk in the color of your choosing.
DIY Projects That Use DIY Lettering Transfer Technique
- DIY Personalized Koozies-She was so happy to have such a personalized gift. No one knew that it was actually pretty easy to make using this “tracing” drawing idea.
- DIY Children’s Memory Boxes using this drawing technique and finally get all those papers and projects organized.
- DIY Chalkboard Wall
From DIY signs to homemade cards, this do-it-your-self lettering idea will help you in all of your DIY projects!
Do It Yourself Lettering
- Drawing paper or wood
- Print out of font or saying
- Other drawing or painting material
- Find the type of lettering and font you want. Create a printout of the lettering with the exact size you need. If you need the lettering larger than a regular piece of paper, you can tape different parts together to create your longer and larger words.
- Using a pencil or soft graphite, scribble on the back of the words making sure to cover all of the letterings.
- Once the graphite is on the back, flip over and use a SHARP pencil or pen to carefully trace the lettering. Pay attention to the width. The more precise you are, the better your final lettering will turn out.
- Make sure that you have traced all parts before lifting up your paper. It is very hard to match it back up, once it is lifted.