Can you paint your computer case?
Yes, you can and we will show you how in this post. My pink laptop case had some wear and tear on it. You can see that the pink was very dirty from just rubbing on the edges of my bag. If I were to buy a new plastic laptop case, I would definitely get a darker one and one with a pattern.
Recently I purchased this one for a new computer we have and absolutely loved the design. Therefore, I thought why not be inspired by this abstract artwork and create a version of my own with paint.
Can I paint my laptop case with acrylic?
Yes, we used acrylic paint like this bottle. I would not recommend using the cheapest kind, but a medium of the road paint quality will work. No need to use the highest artistic quality paints. The most important part about painting your plastic laptop case is to make sure you clean it really well. We used a green rough sponge to help rough up the surface well. Here is my specific laptop case model in case you want to compare the surface we painted on and the one you will be painting.
If you are really nervous about the paint sticking to the cover you could use fine sandpaper or even a deglosser to really get the paint to adhere. The acrylic paint seems to be sticking just fine on my cover.
What do you use to seal the laptop case?
You can use mod podge to help seal your laptop case. Painting in thin layers and allowing time to dry is the best method. You can even decide to add a little sparkle to our Macbook case by using this Mod Podge.
Sealing acrylic paint with Mod Podge sure works well and this painting idea can even be used when doing DIY baby helmet decorating.
- Green Sponge
- Paint brushes
- Paint Palette or plate
- Foam Brush
- Clean the areas using the rough side of a sponge with soap and water (green sponges are our go-to).
- Begin designing with acrylic paint. We did an abstract type design inspired by this cover we were thinking of buying.
- Once layers of paint are dry, apply a layer of Mod Podge. We chose sparkle Mod Podge because we had it and thought it might be fun. But any clear coat would work.
- Let dry and apply at least 2-3 coats of Mod Podge. You want the layers to be dry.
Ideas for creating a simple abstract art on laptop case
- Color block out large areas first with lighter colors
- Keep adding organic shapes
- Blend in darker paints for a more dimensional feel
- Add small lines, dots and shapes with a small brush
- Repeat shapes and lines in different areas to create balance
- Other cool laptop case painting ideas
- Landscapes with simple shapes
- Blended colors (think ombre effect)
- Simple floral designs
- Graffiti name design
- Geometric shapes
- Use painter’s tape to create a more geometric abstract design
There are so many different cool laptop cases out there that you can just “shop” and be inspired like we were. We also were considering trying to do a spray paint hydro dip on our old case, like our fun painted flower pot idea. We still may do that to a different case in the near future!