White paint can be so tricky or so easy depending on the way you look at it. Don’t let all the overwhelming white options out there confuse you. Compare and contrast some of the most popular white cabinet paint colors to help you make your decision for your home.
Once you make a decision for your painted white cabinets you probably won’t be questioning if you chose the right white paint. Go for it and don’t look back.
Also, check out this post with more information about our DIY cabinet painting tips.
Before we talk all about color, you may have a few questions about the type and brand of paint to get for your kitchen cabinets. Here are a few frequently asked cabinet painting questions DIY painters would like answered before starting.
Best Finish For Cabinet Paints
- Recently I was shopping for new paint colors I was told the most common paint finish in kitchens was satin. A high-quality satin paint will clean well and it will have enough shine to showcase your cabinetry while hiding imperfections.
- However, if you are like me, we always use semi-gloss on our cabinets. I don’t think you can go wrong with either one. Semi-gloss will show imperfections a little more, but we will never have a problem wiping our kitchen cabinets clean!
- The most important part is to truly make sure you are using high-quality paints and don’t go below a satin finish.
Want to know more about our cabinet painting supplies? Find the best roller for cabinet painting in this post.
What line of paint is best for DIY kitchen cabinet painting?
Sherwin Williams Pro Classic
We used to be Sherwin Williams Proclassic Latex Enamel users and always had great success with it.
Sherwin Williams Emerald Urethane Trim Enamel
However, recently we tried the SW Urethane Trim Enamel Paint and we will always use this line on our cabinets and molding. Yes, we have tried Behr Latex Enamel as a cheaper alternative, but I would stick with the Sherwin Williams line.
Benjamin Moore Pro Advance
As for Benjamin Moore’s paints, the Pro Advance line seems to be what decorators and designers recommend. According to DIY Painting Tips, Advance helps bridge the gap between oil-based enamels and latex for easier DIY cabinet painting ideas.
Behr Cabinet and Trim Enamel
This is the most budget-friendly option. We did have a great experience using it to paint our bathroom cabinets. However, it has had a little wear on our painted oak stair railing.
Our Favorite: Sherwin Williams Urethane Trim Enamel
We are just Sherwin Williams people by nature being from Ohio but know that Benjamin Moore paints are another great option (and their colors do have a cult-like following).
We like Sherwin Williams Urethane Trim Enamel paint because of the convenience of using a paint that you can clean with water while getting the finish of oil-based paints.
Read more>>>The Most Detailed Cabinet Door Painting Tutorial
How to easily test paint samples?
I would recommend using large peel-and-stick paint samples when testing out a color or painting your own large boards. A wall is more forgiving when it comes to extra brush strokes or textures showing where you sampled the paint.
Here are a few of the best white paints for kitchen cabinets. Keep reading to see examples of real white kitchen cabinets in these colors.
- Benjamin Moore White Dove
- Benjamin Moore Chantilly Lace
- Benjamin Moore Simply White
- Sherwin Williams High Reflective White-Base color to the Urethane Trim Enamel Paint
- Sherwin Williams Alabaster
- Sherwin Williams Pure White
- Behr Polar White–Definitely the coolest color of the paints listed.
- Behr Polar Bear White
- Behr Ultra Pure White–Base paint color for the Cabinet Trim Enamel Line
What does it mean if the paint is more warm or cool?
This is referring to the undertones of the paint. You will notice that Alabaster is a pretty warm paint where it is more of creamy white paint and Behr Polar White definitely goes on the cool side where some people can see greens.
Best Benjamin Moore White Paint Colors For Cabinets
BM White Dove, BM Simply White, BM Decorator's White, and BM Chantilly Lace are cult favorites among designers.
Best Sherwin Williams White For Cabinets
SW Pure White, SW Highly Reflective White and SW Alabaster are common Sherwin Willams whites people use for cabinets and molding. If you like a warmer tone, Albaster may be the way to go. Pure White and Highly Reflective White are more true whites, but some may find them a little too bright.
Best Behr White Paint For Cabinets
Polar White and the base Behr white are two white colors that can work for your kitchen cabinets.
Other White Paints To Consider
Sometimes you might want to try other white paint options or just get cabinetry in the base white color. Here are a few other white kitchens for your inspiration.
Related DIY Painting Posts
- Modernize Oak Kitchen Cabinets Without Painting
- How To Whitewash Brick
- Tips For DIY Kitchen Cabinet Painting
You will love any of these white kitchen cabinet paint colors you choose to help with your DIY makeover.