How To Make DIY Leaf Print Wrapping Paper
Do you hate spending money on buying wrapping paper to only then have a trash bag full at the end of your holiday gathering? We hate how wasteful wrapping paper is and thought why not repurpose items we already have this holiday season. There are many different ways to make DIY wrapping paper, but here is a fun leaf print wrapping paper idea for the whole family.
You could purchase butcher block paper or cut up old brown bags to use. We chose to cut up the brown bags in order to be as eco-friendly as we could when dealing with wrapping paper.
How to cut a brown paper bag for gift wrapping?
- Cut down the seam on the side of the bag.
- Then begin to cut the bottom off.
- Once you make it all the way around, you will be able to open up the brown bag to create a flat butcher paper.
Other things to consider when using brown bags for your wrapping paper
There will be wrinkles and seams. Consider putting better designs on the flat and best spots. When you are wrapping your presents you will end up using the best paper. This brown paper gift wrap idea can use any colors of paints you like to either be Fall gift-wrapping or DIY Christmas gift wrapping.
What materials should you use to print leaves?
Leaves (preferably fresher ones, not ones that are curled up and brown)
Acrylic Paint (Cheap student-grade paint will do the trick)
Extra white paper
Brown bag or large craft roll
How to make leaf prints
- Cut brown bag or layout the butcher paper.
2. Find the textured side of the leaf. Paint the side with the veins. We first wanted to gold but realized the color didn’t give us enough contrast on the paper. Therefore we used green and red with a little gold mixed in to give it a metallic look.
3. Flip leaf over with paint side down.
4. Put the white paper on top and rub the area where the leaf is.
5. Carefully pull up the leaf.
If it appears there is enough paint on the leaf, you can try to print it again. You may get more of a “ghost” print, but I like that look.
6. Repeat until your paper is covered.
7. Let dry and wrap those presents with your DIY brown bag wrapping paper.
What if I wanted to make more precise leaf art prints for DIY artwork?
If we were making art prints or something more than simple DIY wrapping paper, we could be more precise with the paint and using something like a brayer. However, I liked getting different textures to show with the leaves and didn’t need them to all be the exact same because honestly, this is just a fun DIY wrapping paper craft to do with your family.
For one of our brown paper bag wrapping papers, we just stamped a foam brush to create a handpainted pattern. There are so many different simple ways you can use acrylic paint and brown paper bags to create eco-friendly DIY wrapping paper.
Read more>>>> 9+ Easy DIY Treat Bags For Your Next Birthday Party