We totally have a favorite stain color: Red Mahogany. Here are all of our different DIY projects that use this color. I am sure this list will continue to grow because anytime we try to change to a different color, we always end back with our favorite.
What is red mahogany stain?
We use Minwax Red Mahogany on a variety of woods and DIY projects. We think this color is a rich brown with slight reddish tones. It is not nearly as “RED” as other stain colors that contain that word. This stain also looks good on a variety of wood species.
I would also say that while we are “DIY’ers” we are not professionals. Therefore, this stain color seems to be pretty forgiving and easy to work with.
How To Use Stain
Depending on the size of the DIY project or how dark we want the color to be our methods vary just slightly.
- Make sure your wood is clean and dry. Consider using wood conditioner.
- Brush on the stain. Most of the time we either throw the brush away or will use paint thinner to clean.
- Leave the stain on for 5-15 minutes, depending on how dark you want the stain to appear. Again, for our smaller DIY projects the whole surface is stained, and then by the time you can go back and wipe, you are ready to go.
- Make sure projects are completely dry. Add polyurethane in at least two coats. In between coats, you need to rough up with extra fine sandpaper lightly before applying the next coat.
Shop and Compare Red Mahogany Stain Colors
We are DIY nuts! So, of course, we always want to try to find our supplies in the cheapest and easiest way possible. Sometimes that is ordering it online and sometimes it means going to your local hardware store.
Minwax Red Mahogany: Lowe’s | Amazon
Home Depot (a different brand that we have not used, but some of you may like this stain line better)
Red Mahogany Minwax Stain
Here are 8 DIY projects using our favorite stain color. From repurposed wood builds to brand new tongue and groove ceilings.
Amazing Composite Decking & Screened-In Porch Ideas
This tongue and groove ceiling looks great stained with red mahogany. The contrast between the lighter fan and gray composite decking really add warmth to this outdoor space.
Easy Pallet Wood Wine Rack
Even pallet wood can have a rich look with this stain color. This DIY pallet wine rack is a fun DIY project that keeps on "giving".
DIY Corner Shelf
How do you store your cable box when you mount your television in the corner? This stained triangular shelf was the perfect solution for under our mounted television.
DIY Bathroom Ideas
If you can't completely gut and remodel your bathroom then this list is for you. Here are DIY bathroom projects that will help you update your bathroom while keeping it on a budget (and everyone loves that)! You can see how a simple towel rack looks amazing in the red mahogany color.
Small Bathroom Makeover Ideas with a DIY Herringbone Wall
Need more shelves in your home? Here is another DIY industrial shelf where the wood is stained with Minwax red mahogany. We love the contrast of grays with the warm rich brown.
DIY Easy Kid Art Displays
Just like the pallet wine rack, this pallet art display is a cheap DIY organization idea that can really add to your home. And yes, the pallet wood was stained with red mahogany!
Double Wall Mounted DIY Coat Rack
Finally organize your entryway with these stained wood and hooks. Making two of these even allows the littlest members of your family to help you stay organized.
DIY Wood Pallet Crates On Wheels
Who doesn't love free wood? This wooden DIY crate was create using old pallet wood and staining it our favorite color. Adding wheels to this large crate also, made this a very functional piece for our closet!
- Sometimes for smaller projects, you can use an old cotton t-shirt or rag to rub on the stain in the direction of the grain.
- Using a cheaper brush will give you the option to throw it away if you don’t want to clean it with paint thinner.
- You can create different test boards on scrap wood to see the time you want to leave the stain on.
Follow us on Pinterest, Youtube or Facebook for more DIY inspiration!
Do you have a favorite stain or paint color? We would love to hear from you. I know we will continue to use our favorite red mahogany stain color!